June 25, 2008

Ok today while me and my mom were on a walk I saw something kinda sad/disturbing. Ok. While we were walking in the woods i saw this little girl probably about 2 or 3. Her mom started to pick her up out of her stroller and the first thing the little girl said was "no spanking! no spanking!" Somehow that didn't seem right being the first thing coming out of a 3 year olds mouth. I also don't believe in physical punishment. I once had a neighbor who was 4 and was very violent. I was bite on 1 or 2 occasions, and punched and kicked countless times. They way his mom disciplined him was by spanking him. Somehow punishing a little kid for hitting by spanking them just seems..... I cant find a word for it. Tell me what you guys think about this.

17 comments:

Acorn said...

I don't like physical punishment, I think that there are other more effective ways of stopping bad behavior. How do you discipline your children Ryan? Or does Michael do the disciplining?

WolfAngel said...

lol. Good one, Ben. Actually, I believe in the spanking method. My dad did it to me, and look how I turned out. Not very violent....uh, at least outwardly. It scares them into not doing it again, and it really does no physical damage.

Getness said...

See the thing with that for me Shellie is i had friends that their parents gave them spankings and it didnt stop it. It actually made sort of a defiance in them like they would be thinking bring it on. And punishing violence with violence seems counter productive.

WolfAngel said...

Hm. Well, I suppose it has different effects on different kids. By the way, Micheal would NEVER do something like that, so don't even joke.

Globetrotter said...

Well, I actually do believe in corporal punishment (like spankings). In my opinion, it's similar to giving a kid a time-out. The desired effect is that, the next time the child is confronted with the same decision, he or she will remember the consequence and do the right thing. Only, I think that time-outs are ineffective for a number of reasons and, at least for me, spankings (administered by my mom) did wonders. =)

Getness said...

Yeah im not saying it doesnt work for some kids (im also not saying that i like it) but i do think that once they get to a certain age it ceases to work. And sorry about the Mike thing i deleted it for you.

Getness said...

Like i was saying in my earlier posts I had 2 neighbors in California, their mom did the whole spanking thing and corporal punishment. I think one was 8ish maybe and the other was 2 or 3 years older. Eventually they ended up resenting their mother and had a sorta thing where they would do whatever they wanted since they knew all that would happen is they would get spanked.

Globetrotter said...

Also, I think that defiance from children toward their parents can stem from a number of things. Sometimes it's inevitable simply because of the stage kids are at in their development. Another quick note; I think humans, by nature, are "bad." We need correction from parents at an early age to avoid creating bad habits that will be more difficult to lose later in life.

Globetrotter said...

Yes, I agree that too much spanking is counter-productive and also that other means of punishment should be adopted after a certain age. Possibly grounding or taking away privileges.

Getness said...

See thats what i think is effective is taking away privileges. I think when i was 3 or 4 i bite my mom. She took away tv for 3 days and i never did it again. Thats how i was raised.

Getness said...

on another note i have never been spanked or grounded in my life.

Globetrotter said...

Right. Like you said, it basically comes down to whatever form of discipline works best for each kid. Since, as Shellie mentioned, spankings don't do any physical damage, I feel they should be utilized (like any other punishment) if proven effective for the child.

Getness said...

Yeah. I also forgot to say that you were right about the neighbors they had other serious stuff going on in their family, but the corporal punishment wasnt helping.

WolfAngel said...

Good to know that someone agrees with me. ^_^

Acorn said...

Wow, lotta posts since the last time I checked. I still don't like spankings, no matter what you guys say. I don't think I've been spanked in my life.

General405 said...

I agree with what Isaac says on this.

Getness said...

The different disciplines work for different kid part?